Sunday, May 1, 2011

Special meal for a special day.

The first Sunday in May is Mother's day in my country.

This year (to make it even more special & healthy) I have prepared a raw meal for my family: Brooke's raw tacos as a main course and raw strawberry cake for dessert.

I received smashing compliments and they (specially my step-dad) are not even vegetarian!

It's not that I'm trying to "convert" anyone, but I think this could be a really good experience (both my mom and my step-dad suffer from serious heart problems) and I want to prepare some healthy and tasty dishes for them, even if it's only two days per week.

Today I want to share this Strawberry Cake recipe with you.

Ingredients for the crust:
- 2 cups of raw almonds
- 1/2 cup of pine nuts
- 3/4 cup of pitted dates

Ingredients for the filling:
- 4 to 5 cups of thinly sliced ripe strawberries
- 4 pitted dates, soaked for 10 minutes in warm water and drained
- 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice

Place the nuts in a food processor and grind. Then add the 3/4 cup of dates and process until thoroughly combined. Press the mixture into a very lightly oiled pie plate. Arrange 4 cups of the sliced strawberries on top of the crust and set aside.
Combine the remaining cup of strawberries with the 4 soaked dates and lemon juice in a blender. Mix until smooth. Pour the sauce over strawberries.
Refrigerate the cake for 1 hour before serving.

This is the result:



My blog was never intended to be about food, but my eating habits have become a wonderful and interesting journey (across the raw food universe), so it looks that I will be writing about that every now and then.

I already went through a veggie phase years ago, around the time I moved to London. I think it was shortly after my lovely visit to Scotland, when I went to meet my friend Elaine (she's a vegetarian too, although not a raw foodie). Those were the healthier years of my life. I "gave up" a few months after I returned to Spain, due to work and my need to catch up with the "ordinary" social life again... This country was not prepared for vegetarians, though the Mediterranean diet has always included lots of fruits and vegetables. Luckily (at least for me), that is beginning to change (slowly, but surely).

After reading about some of my friends' experiences with raw food, I unconsciously began to feel re-educated and I have found myself becoming almost completely "green" again.

If you really want to be inspired and learn more about raw lifestyle and fantastic recipes, I recommend you to follow Brooke's blog:
http://mooshymama.blogspot.com/ 
She's both a great cook and a wonderful human being. She's my raw food guru. I feel so lucky for having her in my life!

And now I should be getting ready to go to bed. Tomorrow is going to be a tough day at work and I need to be rested to face it.

Good Night!!


1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a nice treat you made! I feel very honored to have been a small part of your celebration! I hope your parents enjoy your new meals and improved health.
    Thank you so much for the kind mention! I certainly don't feel like a raw food guru, just like sharing my new lifestyle change.
    Hope you have a great day. Love you!

    ReplyDelete