Sunday, November 6, 2011

"For whom the bell tolls"

No, I'm not going to write about one of my favourite Metallica songs or even about that other lovely ballad from the Bee Gees. This entry is about the book.

I think I'll finally have the time to catch up on some reading.

There are some literary jewels that I have been wanting to read forever and this is one of them. Some might think it is unforgiveable not to have read it yet (I do!), because... Gee! It's Hemingway! And it's about the Spanish Civil War... but things are not always as easy as they seem and, as with most matters in life, there's is a right time for (almost) everything.

I know I haven´t been ready to read this book until... now!

I've always been far more interested in the American Civil War than in our own. I simply didn't understand the reasons that lead to our crazy blood spilling conflict. Thirty-some years later in my life, I'm beginning to understand some of them (yes, I know, I'm "kind of" slow...)

I also wanted to read this book in English, because, from what I hear, the expressions Hemingway uses when trying to translate directly from Spanish idioms and the swearing are fascinating. I guess I'll soon find out!




No comments:

Post a Comment