Friday, April 22, 2011

Puente de Santa Teresa (Valladolid)

Today I went for a walk in Valladolid to see the city’s newest addition:  A bridge  that was just opened at the end of the neighborhood known as "La Rondilla”.

I must confess I loved it!!

Unfortunately, I forgot to take my camera. Luckily, I had my iPhone with me…


The bridge has been built at the end of one of the most popular walks in Valladolid, locally known as the “Cholesterol Walk” (guess why!! LOL).



It is the first one in Valladolid to have a wooden walkway (although they’re re-building one of the old ones with this noble material), which kind of reminded me to the Brooklyn Bridge (sometimes you just see what you want to see!).




If you’ve never been to Valladolid, you don’t know how important river Pisuerga is for the city. There’s even a popular Spanish saying that goes:
“Aprovechando que el Pisuerga pasa por Valladolid...” (that would literally translate as “and now, since Pisuerga crosses Valladolid..." and it is used to introduce a new subject in a conversation that apparently has nothing to do with what you were talking about in the first place).

You can even see the tiny pier down the river. It has been there for ages, since the canoeing school is just a few feet away.





The walkway is one of the widest I’ve seen in Spain.






It even has wooden "benches" in case you need to rest somewhere along the way.



In a few weeks you’ll see flowers and plants everywhere!!




I really dislike Valladolid’s mayor, but I must admit he has done wonders for the city. And now was the best time for him to show it off, because the local elections are being held in less than a month and that means… Time to renew the city!! Valladolid’s “good looks” have increased by a thousand since I first came here. This area used to be skid row not that long ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment