Saturday, April 23, 2011

El Berenjenal

It is not often that I find my family in the mood for veggie food (not my case whatsoever). So when I mentioned the possibility of going to a new eco-vegetarian restaurant today and they said yes,  I was happy happy happy happy!!

Did you know that the word “vegetarian” comes from the latin “vegetus”, which means lively, fresh, vigorous,...?  And lively is exactly how I felt today!!

The place we went to is called “El Berenjenal” and it's located at Duque de Lerma, 2 (Valladolid). It is a teeny-tiny spot with a very peculiar decoration (children drawings all over the wall).
The name is very appropriate (I love  word-games!). Berenjenal is both an eggplant field and a word used in a Spanish saying that means to get yourself into a real mess (“meterse en un berenjenal”).
First thing we noticed: The bread had not been out of the oven for long. It was still warm when they brought it to our table… We all tried each other’s dishes and they were all d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s. I’ll write all their names down and then I’ll upload the pictures (of course I took pictures with my iPhone! What did you expect?). Your "mission" will be matching them (Oh, boy!! Am I in a joyful-playful-mood today!!), here we go:

·         Hummus with raw zucchini and carrot sticks
·         Veggie sushi with salad
·         Goat cheese crêpe with roasted red pepper salad
·         Cardoon-almond-cheese toasts with herbes de Provence
·         Cereal-pulse burgers
·         Red lentil croquettes with rice and cumins


 

 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment